tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
There's a Caprock Canyons rail trail out between South Plains and Estelline, and I'm planning to do it in late April.
It's been years and things change. That said, both times I rode it, only the part from South Plains to Quitaque could have been described as maintained - the rest was overgrown. You could bushwhack your way through, but you had to stop every now and then and pull weeds out of the rear derailleur/cassette. Even in maintained places there were stretches where the area on either side of the railway had been mown - and the clippings/chaff ejected onto the trail surface! Texas Parks&Wildlife seemed to be operating this wild space as a tribulus terrestris sanctuary. If I were to ride it again I'd seriously consider mounting Tannus Razor Blades. I'm not kidding.

Hopefully conditions have improved.

Oh, but if you're not stopping every 0.79 miles to patch multiple punctures, from South Plains to Quitaque is hands down one of the most memorable, most scenic and most unique rides in the state. It will be beautiful in late April.

Last edited by tcs; 03-05-18 at 06:55 PM.