Old 12-09-19, 04:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
How to deal with harassment from people driving cars?
Originally Posted by SHBR
Choose routes that have less traffic, and/or choose a better time to ride.

I'll often take longer less traveled routes, just to avoid hostile motorists.

Motorists often take the most congested routes, because GPS told them to, one block over, its crickets.

You can't fix careless motorists, so its best to avoid them if possible
Originally Posted by genec
In some places, there are no other routes/roads.

This is a very common situation out west, where there may not be a "grid," or the "only other road" is an interstate freeway.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
All my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural.

I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal. Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):​​​​​​...
Welcome to Boston and environs

Even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I always get lost on a new ride. Streets are laid out in a haphazard fashion; many streets, particularly the one you are riding on are not marked; they surreptiously change names; and in rotary intersections it's easy to lose your sense of direction
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Not everyone can or wants to do so, but I start my usual ride at 0430 every day. I usually get back home at around 6ish.

There is not very much traffic, even though this particular ride is all with the city. It is nuts any time after about 0620ish or so.
+10 to above, especially to t@bpcyclist. I have posted, in particular about urban cycling,
I like early morning riding between 4 to 6 AM. I think the drunks and crazies are mostly off the road by that time (since the bars here close at 2:00 AM), and the ones driving at those hours are pretty responsible people. I think of them as the ones entrusted to get the world started for the rest of us.

Also the overnight shift changes usually occur at 7:00 AM, so those possibly sleep-impaired commuters are also off the road.
Indeed at about 6AM there is a noticeable increase in traffic. I fortunately travel in the reverse commuter direction. outbound from Downtown to a suburb, but that holds true on my side of the road.

I estimate that on Saturdays, the uptick starts at about 7 AM. and on Sundays about 8 AM. On a long weekend ride I can be out in exurbia by that time. but I will encounter the traffic homeward bound.
...One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene.

Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours [all weekend].

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-09-19 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added quotes by SHBR and genec
Likes For Jim from Boston: