Old 11-04-20, 02:40 PM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Leaving the Scene of Accident

Today, I was hit by a pickup truck making a left turn while I was going on a bicycle in the same intersection in the opposite direction. My rear wheel was hit and is severely damaged but I was not physically hurt. The truck driver did not stop and I could read only the first 3 letters of the lic. plate. The rear wheel of my bike is severely damaged and out of true, needing pro repairs.

I called 911 to report and while I was on the call, about 10 min in, a truck that looked like the original came from the direction it went and made the same turn towards where it came from. (as if going back to where it came from). I assumed that it was the same vehicle and reported it on the ongoing 911 call. I waved the truck and he stopped for a few minutes a little far from where I was and then drove away.
The police caught up with him and brought him to the scene where I was waiting. We did not exchange any info initially but there were no fresh scrape marks on the truck that I could see and the driver said to the police that he did not cause any hit and run.
The policeman on the scene was quite antagonistic to me and treating me like a 10 year old instead of 60+, was telling me that it was my fault and when I got angry he just proceeded to his car to enter the report. He gave me a number and said the report will be ready in a week.
Do I have the option to call/go to the police station and indicate that I may be mistaken about the truck identity and they need to find the right one from the first 3 digits I reported earlier.
Even if it was my fault, is it not a clear case leaving the scene of an accident?
Any other advice?