Old 09-12-21, 02:56 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG1
Naked and Afraid episodes are proof-positive that folks can withstand a wide variety of three-week excursion with a whole lot less than 10-lbs of gear (not that I know anyone who would want to).
Your desire to pack light doesn't surprise me in the least. I often have packed quite light myself. I went coast to coast witth 14 pounds including the bags and trimmed gear weight since then. I think my lowest base gear weight was 9 pounds. So I get that. I used to pack heavy and used 4 panniers and progressively shed weight until I was down into the ultralight minimalist level for both touring and backpacking. Some of my methods are unconventional so I am not always doing things using the most conventional methods either.

It is your call and you can certainly do as you please. I was just trying to understand the apparent inconsistancy of shedding every possible ounce in your camping gear and clothing and then carrying it in a heavy set of four panniers on a pair of heavy racks designed to cary many times that much weight. I don't need to understand, I just thought perhaps I was missing part of the story. I still feel that I am missing something since the gear you list would fit in one 25 liter pannier. Are you carrying a weeks worth of bulky food or very large amounts of water or something?