View Single Post
Old 02-05-24, 09:43 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
1x11/12 MTB drivetrains were a game-changer for me. I ride a lot of technical singletrack that was often an unwelcome challenge shifting with a traditional 3x and it’s not like I was an inexperienced rider. It is no surprise to me that the entire modern MTB world has chosen 1x12. They work flawlessly with zero chance of dropping a chain.
My first proper XC race bike was a 1x11, replaced a 3x10 bike. It was a massive improvement...if one was just cruising fire roads, probably not a big deal. However, for everything else it was an improvement. I liked that 1x11 as a racing setup, not having the bail-out gear was perfectly fine for racing scenarios.

My new XC bike is an electronic 12 speed. Before this bike, I didn't really understand the big deal about electronic shifting, but now I understand. Light, easy shifts and the ability to program special shift functions. I have mine set up to shift 3 cogs if I press and hold the shifter...and you don't have to hold it for long. I just used this to great effect at an XC race this weekend. I had it in a tall gear to grab the holeshot on a flat, wide start, and then wait until the last possible second to downshift a few gears, once the course funneled into a sharp incline.
Likes For Sierra_rider: