View Single Post
Old 07-20-11, 09:17 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
We have experimented with the technique where the captain gets on and clips one foot in and stabilizes the bike while the stoker gets on and clips in.

This did not work for us. I get on and clip my right foot in, right pedal down, left on the ground, she gets on and does the same thing. We announce that we are clipped in. We then back up a bit and push off, I clip my left foot in and then she clips in, we both announce when we are in! When we stop we both take our left foot out and repeat the above process, this works best for us.

We have also ridden motorcycles so my stoker knows how important it is not to squirm at the wrong time.

Enjoy the ride and experiment to find out what works best for you.

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Just wanted to say, THANKS, for all the nice replies and yes, we are enjoying the T-900! Although it seems harder to ride than I thought it would be, I feel a bit "twichey" and after riding a LWB recumbent for the last few months, LOL, it seems very tall! I do have another question, when you stop, do you as captain's (pilots), put both feet on the ground or do you just use "one foot on the ground and one in the pedal"?? If the road at the stop cambers a bit, I feel a bit wobbly at times. Lucky for me, my stroker, (navigator) is excellent, after 20+ years of being a co-pilot on a motorcycle, she knows how to not make excessive movements, etc. I'm sure some of this feeling will go away after we put on a lot more miles, thanks!