View Single Post
Old 09-04-21, 03:34 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
The above comment indicates you need more pack riding practice prior to racing or you have the requisite practice and question your skill. Try to be confident, controlled and relaxed.

My add is practice clipping in. As a time trialist, we are used to standing held starts clipped in. I have read a lot of race reports where the racer lined up, felt great, warmed up and then could not get clipped in and ended up chasing from Offthebackistan. So practice clipping in on the first pedal rotation and keep practicing until you do not miss. And be in the right gear for that clip in and start.
Clipping in won't be an issue. We haven't had held standing starts in the UK because of Covid, and even though all the rules have been lifted, most club events don't have a pusher-offer just because it's one less volunteer you need. I haven't ridden an open since all restrictions have been lifted, so not sure about those. Regardless, I'm used to clipping in. I'm not new to group/pack riding, they just tend to be more social rides in no more than a group of 12 or so. Depending on the group, we might practice a bit of a chaingang. But for the past 18 months, I've mostly been riding with the same people at a sociable pace on anything from 30-140 mile social rides, with many cafe and pub stops (and a few bikepacking adventures). Even though it's a tight group, it's with people I know well, there's no competitiveness, and our actions are predictable. It's a cat 3/4 women's race, so there aren't likely to be a massive number of riders (capped at 25). It's just a bit of an unknown for me. I've ridden up at the track a few times (my coach has weekly sessions on it), and have a few more coming up to really get used to it. I don't know why I'm so worried. It's likely to be about 20 riders, and I've done plenty of mass start events- the biggest being about 700 people (event called Chase the Sun, held on the summer solstice. 205 mile ride across the UK and everyone starts together- and the group stayed as one for a good 35 miles).

Last edited by rivers; 09-04-21 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For rivers: