View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 11:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would leave it alone myself...
You taking a Peugeot frame and making it look like something it was not made to be. I guess I can see that. But is it still a Peugeot? Surprisingly I see a Peugeot frame cleaned and lugs intact even with new paint and decals as a Peugeot. Even if it is converted to a Fixy. I also see a Peugeot frame with modified lugs as a Franken Bike.

Don't get me wrong, I have added Down Tube Bosses, and brazed on Dereailluer Hangers and Cable Guides to many vintage frames. But to be sure the end result was a Franken Bike no matter how pretty it was. And I am proud of my Franken Bikes. I do though appreciate a fully restored original frame in its original configuration even it has had all of its components stripped and has been converted to a Fixy.

So I'm thinking why? In a store bought Fixy everything is smooth clean and set. In a personally converted Fixy the wheels, chain line, crank, chain and other components have been meticulously set, and often by trail and error. So in a way leaving the Lugs and Bosses on identifies the bike as your personal accomplishment. It also shows your personal respect for a vintage frame... Just Saying...