Old 08-05-12, 04:55 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Your rear wheel comes off the same way as any bicycle.

It's fairly straightforward, and you should refer to the Landrider manual, or a basic bike care tutorial.

1- Shift the 2nd smallest rear sprocket, and the smaller or middle chainring
2- disconnect the brake cable, at the quick disconnect fitting, so brake arms open wider than the tire ---see manual
3- loosen wheel QR, or axle nuts.
4- Use right hand to pull the RD back against the spring, while lifting the frame. The rear wheel will slide forward and down - may need a nudge - and drop free forward of the RD, You may need to rotate the RD cage to clear the gear cluster and you'll need to move the lower loop of the chain past the axle.

the wheel is off, and you can change the tire -- see a tire tutorial ---

Going back on is the same but in the opposite direction.

Guide the wheel into the frame, helping the lower loop of the chain (comes off the back of the lower (longer arm of RD) pulley).
Put then upper loop of the chain onto the 2nd smallest sprocket (same as where it was when you took off the wheel)
Pull RD back and guide wheel into frame, and axle into dropout
center wheel in frame (horizontal slots) or hold bike vertical and let gravity return the axle to the tops of vertical slots
adjust and tighten QR or axle nuts (see QR tutorial if unsure of how a QR works)
reset brake cable, check brake,
check that all is good, put chain back on the same chainring if it fell off (it usually does), check rest of bike, ride home before it starts raining.

That's the short version, if the post was serious, read the various tutorials, or consider a bike repair/maintenance course from a local co-op if any.

BTW- I consider the ability to fix a flat on the road as the American Express Card of bike riding -- don't leave home without it. It seems complicated at first, but is actually straightforward, and flats do happen. Just as I insisted that my wife learn how to change a flat on her car, (even though she's attractive enough that she'd never need to) I feel everyone who rides more than 1/2 mile from home should be able to fix a flat on a bike. It's not complicated, and along with basic brake adjustments, knowing how to use a QR if they have one, some very basic derailleur adjustments is fundamental core knowledge anyone can and should master. There are many good tutorials, plus bike shops or co-ops run courses, and some community colleges offer classes. Either learn or stay tethered to your home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-05-12 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: