Old 11-21-21, 04:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Now that winter is here, I have my annual frustration of cold fingers. Before I post in “Winter Cycling,” let’s see what the Addiction brain trust says.

My quest is for gloves that will keep my fingers warm when temps go well below freezing and remain so for the whole ride (say 3-4 hours). I have tried several cold weather gloves, including last year’s purchase of pricey Castelli Estremo gloves. They are fine for temps above freezing. They are ok for a ride that starts a few degrees below freezing (say 25+) if the temps will rise to above freezing within an hour or so. However, every glove I have tried for hours in subfreezing temps leaves me with painful and/or numb fingers within an hour into the ride.

I have tried adding glove liners to the gloves, which at these temps sadly don’t do much. I have tried those chemical hand warmers, which keep my hands warm (not a problem anyway) but fingers are still too cold/numb/painful.

So far the only solution is to use mittens with thin glove liners (and chemical warner if extreme cold). This works, but the dexterity for shifting and braking are compromised more than I like.

I know about pogies, which I expect do work, but the compromise is you are limited to one hand position (hoods).

I have NOT tried lobster claw gloves, but am considering.

tl;dr Any ideas on how to best keep fingers warm on subfreezing rides while maintaining digital dexterity??
Zwift. That’s all I got.