Old 11-20-22, 11:17 AM
TheDutchBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
XT is well worth it if you like the frame and how it feels. XT is probably the most reliable and long lasting groupset that Shimano makes, I have a few derailleurs from the 7-8 speed era still running today (as 9 speed) and I don't treat them well and they keep going. Older XT pedals that just keep rockin' and other stuff. Yes it costs a bit but long term not a huge cost if you ware going to have the bike a while.

In terms of Trekking vs MTB, it is more down to gearing and feel than anything else. The trekking cranks for instance are going to have a different gearing more road/path oriented than mountain biking. The brake levers are going to be 3 fingers vs 1 finger. Probably a triple front derailleur vs 1x or a double. Nothing that you couldn't interchange with but you may want that longer brake lever while touring for more comfort and ease of use.
Good things to think about.
I like the frame a lot, but it's not stiff enough for 'real' bike touring. It also doesn't fit front roller packs – as it has a suspended fork. I like it for day tours (max 80km) and some bike holidays (daily not more then 80km) for a week. Most of the time during the year I'll use it for groceries and errands.

I've just compared a shopping list – with a full Deore set at €279,00 (separate items) and a full Deore XT above €500. For my usage, a difference that I find too big.

Thanks for the infos regarding the difference between MTB/Trekking

On my original shopping list: do I miss any lubes/grease/other things that are necessary for a proper installation? Hope I got most covered with Dynamic's Assembly Paste.