Old 03-10-22, 02:30 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4395 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
No, I'm not always joining group rides late.
I realize I can modify settings while warming up in a starting pen. I was thinking more specifically about riding with pace partners. If I used a gravel or MTB on a previous ride, when I fire up Zwift to do a pace partner ride the next day, I am by default still on the gravel or MTB bike. That makes sense, but switching seems unnecessarily complicated. I have to start a ride, go into settings, change my bike, quit the ride, then join a pace partner ride.

It would be a lot easier and make more sense to be able to change the bike settings from the start screen, rather than having to start a ride to access settings.

I feel the same about modifying clothing, avatar appearance, checking my status in challenges, etc. The whole UI on Zwift seems really clunky and poorly thought out. Why do I have to go to a 3rd party website to know if a route is paved or gravel? Why is the elevation profile on screen during rides so tiny and only for specific segments rather than the entire route? Why can't I customize the on-screen data to show averages for power or speed? Why doesn't Zwift show me how many miles I have ridden each bike, or times I've ridden particular routes, etc?

I love Zwift, I just don't understand why for $180/year the interface is many times worse than any other video game out there (most of which are significantly cheaper).
Ultimately it's a tiny niche market compared to mainstream video gaming. It is what it is. Sure it could be better, but these are first world issues that don't bother me much. I think Zwift is pretty good on the whole. The things that matter seem to work pretty well for me. The main one being a reliable live connection and lots of decent group rides/events. I don't think I've experienced a single mid-ride crash or dropout in 2 years. Before Zwift I tried Bkool, but that had loads of issues on group rides/races. Bike/kit choosing on the start screen would make sense, but not a big deal.