zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
Ok, I ordered the shorts It's an ebay auction so I won't know for a couple of days if my bid was high enough. But, here's the deal. I got a cycling computer a few days ago and just got it put on. So I went for my neighborhood loop which I knew wasn't very long. It turned out it's only 2 miles. But I was beat afterwards--as I usually am. Tomorrow I'm going to try to go two loops just to see if I can. When the shorts get here I think I'll wear them anyway even though it's only 2-4 miles. You guys have made me feel so empowered.
I got my bike from Chainbreakers Collective here in Santa Fe, it is a really cool place. They have lots of bikes of all kinds in various stages of disrepair. So I picked out a Peugeot, I don't know what model exactly, I think its a UO-18 which is from the mid-70's. I am so pleased with it. I had to true the wheels, change the rear derailleur, change cables, put on some new brake pads, put on a new seat, adjust the rear derailleur. But the reason I started this is because I also got some spd pedals and compatible shoes from the Collective. I finally got the old pedals off today and put on the new ones. So, I rode my two mile loop clipped in the the pedals. It was harrowing a couple of times but I managed to get unlatched at the last minute!! But it was so cool, I felt like a real bicyclist. Now when I get my shorts and can afford the exhorbitant price for a jersey I will be the coolest cyclist in Santa Fe--even if I can only go a couple of miles. So, this was a very long post but I just wanted you guys to know that I have been listening.
That's because you are a real bicyclist.

Very cool about getting your bike from a collective, too. Now you have a pretty good idea of what it will take to maintain it

+1 on Zinn. I also Have Park Tool's Big Blue Book and Bicycling Magazine's Repair Guide