View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 11:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Sure, but I take all of the fastest training tires, pick the one with the best of the other aspects in my criteria. Some riders posting here don't have fast as their first priority, and that's my base point.

For example, you might recommend the Pirelli Cinturato, but this is a puncture resistance first tire, and no one in my regular club pacelines would be running them. Someone might rate the P Zero Race as having poor puncture resistance by comparison, but I wouldn't compare the two, and would only compare the tire to others in the same road race training category and weight range.
Okay so to put it another way, do any "fast" race tyres have "top tier puncture resistance"?

I'm sort of playing Devil's advocate here, but other than listing your top priority the rest are not very meaningful. The category of tyre quoted pretty much dictates the top priority anyway.

FWIW my top priority in a road tyre is grip level, especially in the wet. I am also willing to trade-off rolling resistance vs puncture protection to some degree.

Interestingly I've run both Pirelli Cinturato and P Zero Race tubeless and could hardly tell any difference in real world rolling resistance. But the former are definitely more puncture resistant! Both have very decent grip levels, while the P Zeros are a little more supple, but I gave up with them after getting a number of bad cuts that I'd never experienced on other tyres. Myabe I was just unlucky, but they seemed fragile. The Cinturatos appear to be bombproof and don't appear to have any adverse affect on my speed. I'm sure there is a small penalty, but it's completely lost in the noise of our rough local roads and turbulent weather. I'm also running the new Conti GP5000S TR on my Canyon and so far I've been really impressed with these. I was worried they might suffer the same fate as my P-Zeros, but they are holding up well just coming up to 1000 km. No cuts or punctures. Exceelent grip levels, reasonably supple (30 mm version).