Old 11-26-22, 01:11 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Longer commute bicycle (Europe)

Hi folks,

I'm riding daily 11 km (7 miles) back and forth on a relatively flat road (31m total incline). I've done this route with a number of bicycles and I'm looking to upgrade. Personally I have average fitness and flexibility, and I my neck is sometimes stiff.

Here are the bicycles I've tried (all semi-upright position):
- Aluminum commuter bike (Nexus 7 hub, slick tires), I go relatively fast, but I end up quite sweaty to work and the slick tires transmit a lot of chatter.
- Cube Travel SL touring bike (belt drive, Alfine 8 hub, touring tires) which was riding a bit more slowly. The "slow" part makes the commuting less fun.
- Speed pedelec (belt drive, enviolo hub, Bosch Speed motor, large tires) is a lot of fun and goes super fast, however the amount of exercise is minimal and it needs extra care, charging batteries, fear of theft, motor noise and higher cost.

At this point I am wondering if I should get a road bike with mudguards and panniers and give that a try, instead of using an e-bike. I've never ridden a road bike and I find them a bit too twitchy and a bit uncomfortable in small test runs. Do you guys have any models to recommend for someone like me to look into for my commute? My budget would be around 2000 Euro new, give or take a few hundred. I also consider a gravel bike for the more comfortable riding but the gravel tires will be a waste as I ride on roads. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Fandomii; 11-26-22 at 02:25 PM.