Old 05-11-20, 11:49 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
I had a dream fatboy race wheelset made a few years ago. Kinlin XC279 rims 28/32 to CXray spokes and Dura Ace hubs. They cost me around $1k when I got them from Prowheelbuilder. They needed a true after the first few rides but have stayed true ever since (~5000km). I've since gotten into wheel building and built up my current MTB rims. I'll build up something to replace my wheels when they start getting old. Likely though, they will last a lot longer yet and I'll keep the hubs and just rebuild to new spokes and rim. If I get a new bike though, it will be a whole new wheelset as I'll be going to discs next.
I built my own dream fatboy wheelset back in 2017, which I documented extensively on the forum. Of course not too many folks would be interested, since it was built really tough (36 spokes both fore and aft) but with high-quality hubs and very nice moderately deep carbon rims from Light-Bicycle. I fully admit that 36h was overbuilt for the front, but uncompromising toughness and durability were one thing I was going for, and these wheels have delivered. I've just ordered a new rim from a model that Light-Bicycle didn't even have when I built that wheelset that in theory should be even better for my purposes. I don't need a new wheel, but I wanted to build on this new rim, drop down to "just" 28h in the front, and see how it goes. Cycling isn't just an exercise for me, it's also a hobby, so I don't mind spending a little to learn and get to see how this rim/spokes/hub combo pans out. It'll be a rim exceptionally well matched for the 32mm tires I've been riding (the rim is 32mm wide external and 50mm deep). Everything's ordered, I just need the rim and other parts to come in and I'll get it built and start laying down the miles and see how it goes. My goal is to arrive at the ultimate no-holds-barred clyde wheelset.