Old 02-20-21, 12:56 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I’m comfortable working in both. On one of my first jobs out of college I had to convert a load of house dimensions from the feet and inches on the plans being provided to the public, into millimeters for the brickies who would be building the walls. The most efficient way to do this was to pull out a tape measure that had both, to the length required.

When I first came to California, I found out that engineering here is done in feet as the base units, and 10ths and 100ths of feet. It was a true facepalm moment.

in fairness, I will say that when I go home to Ireland and see the newly developed roads, buildings etc that weren’t there when I was younger, I see a bit more sterility in the modern designs there than in the US, and I wonder if it’s that things there are built to decimal ratios of 10 and 5 and 2, versus the more organic ratios of 2, 3 and 4 that can more easily be done with feet and inches.