View Single Post
Old 10-30-20, 03:10 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Are you "nope" guys speaking from experience, or just hypothesizing? Both are fine, of course.

My father is a big boater so I grew up spending a lot of time around the water, and the buoyancy of some small objects can be impressive. That's what made me think it was impossible. And to be clear, I'm not necessarily expecting a strong bobbing around on the surface, but maybe frame down with just the contact patches of the wheels barely staying at the surface.

Originally Posted by Koyote
In any scenario in which this question is relevant, I think you will have more important things to worry about than whether your bike can float.
I thought it went without saying that this is really just a thought exercise, and I'm not going to risking my life, or anyone else's, for a bike. For a little more background, this ferry crosses the East River, which can get a nice little rip going but generally isn't particularly wide.