Old 01-22-21, 01:21 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I've rehabilitated enough old wheels that I've a) gained plenty of experience and b) learned to fully detension/fully loosen all the spokes and start over. It's the only way to ensure the nipples are free enough to fully do the job. Scary huh?

Another valuable lesson I read was: it's more art than science. Don't even try to get it right the first time. Work a bit in one section or on one side then back off and work somewhere else. Stop and breathe, check it here and there then correct something. Take your time. Warm coffee, good music, fully alone in the shop.

Approach truing wheels like an art history major, not like an engineer (says the Engineer). My goal now is < 2mm of hop, < 1mm off dish and < 1/2mm of runout. And I can get that with a good rim.
2 nd person to say fully detention on a bad one, so may need to try that. I did have to replace 5 or 6 nipples on that first one. Funny thing is the second old Schwinn wheel was no problem or challenge. I like your zen approach too as I did find myself getting frustrated with the first one.