View Single Post
Old 05-26-22, 08:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"They are somewhat designed to fail the idea is those break and save your nice derailleur and your frame."

Yes, they are designed to fail in the event of a maladjusted derailleur or a crash. What I am seeing is the hangers become weak over time under normal use and require realignment and eventually replacement after the hanger has been realigned a few times. Some designs are more susceptible to this than others.
The hanger only becomes weak over time because you are realigning it. You can probably get away with trying to bend a replaceable derailer hanger once. Any more than that is questionable. Even that once is somewhat questionable.

I have a few bikes with replaceable hangers that have over 10,000 miles on them. I have never had to adjust the hanger at all, much less periodically. I’ve also never replaced one of my own. As a long time volunteer at a co-op where we see just how badly bicycles can be treated, I’ve only had to replace a few (out of close to 15,000 bikes I’ve worked on) and most of those were obviously damaged.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: