View Single Post
Old 06-19-22, 10:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
I plan to ride Going to the Sun at the beginning of the second week of July. In my mind, that's plenty of time for the snow to melt. Am I daydreaming?]
You could be okay, but that’s not a certainty. It all depends on what happens between now and then. And it’s not just a question of snow on the roadway. Avalanche danger is a major concern. A couple of years ago some cyclists went up later in the day and became trapped for hours after an avalanche behind them blocked the road so they could not get back down until the road was cleared. Avalanche danger increases as the day goes on because the sun loosens up things.

But the park does try to get the road open as soon a possible because it’s a major economic driver for the area.

The Marias Pass alternative is nowhere near as interesting. The GF and I rode from St. Mary all the way to Sprague Creek Campground in one day so that we would have time to ride at least some of the west slope of GTS. It was a 100 mile day. Fortunately, GTS opened all the way the next day so we got to ride up to Logan Pass and back down after hanging out for an hour at the closure point until they opened the road completely.