View Single Post
Old 03-27-23, 10:12 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Two Poseidon bike repairs came in the shop this week and I feel like I just have to warn folks about this.

One was in the repair stand and we noticed the right side of the handlebar seemed lower than the left. At first we thought it had been crashed and the bars were bent but we could not find any evidence of a crash. We kept investigating and finally clamped the seat tube vertical with a level in the stand, held the steering perfectly straight, then measured across the bars with a level and by measuring from the bar ends to the ground. The bars were clearly crooked with the right side end almost an inch lower than the left side. Then we checked out the other Poseidon we had in the shop and found it was crooked in the same way by almost the same amount! We were unable to determine if the heat tube was welded crooked in the frame or if the stem was flawed, but both bikes were almost identically crooked.

There are other low-cost but good quality gravel bikes out there like the entry level Salsa Journeyer (Advent, Claris, Acolyte and Altus models as low as $1,029) that are just a couple hundred bucks more expensive than the Poseidon. I suggest considering these bikes as an alternative to the Poseidon as they may be a huge jump up in quality for a reasonable amount of additional money.
If that's the case, the owners of the bike are covered under Poseidon's original owner lifetime warranty policy if it's a frame issue. Also if you work at a bike shop, how hard is it not to remove the carbon fork and remove the bars from the stem to accurately check? Even my 9 year old son with a torque wrench can figure that out.