View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 04:23 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Looking back at photos here’s my milestones. Before the THR I was walking 18 holes 5 days a week and in really great condition. I started walking without a cane 12 days post surgery. I didn’t tell my surgeon but I started walking 18 holes (6-7 miles/not playing) with my golf buddies at 3 weeks. I was probably doing way too much but I think it helped me overall. I was back on a trainer with minimal resistance after 6 weeks. I added resistance on the trainer at 8 weeks. The biggest issue was getting on and off the bike, needed a step stool. I did 25 miles on my first official road ride post surgery at 13 weeks. The surgeon allowed me to start playing golf after about 18 weeks. I rode 6000 miles and did 5 weeklong bike tours the next year.

I’ve not gotten back to the power and speeds before the THR as I lost a little leg strength and cardio and just didn’t have the desire in my mid 60’s to push it hard enough to recover it. But riding distances at a little slower speeds wasn’t an issue.