View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 06:42 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Looking back at photos here’s my milestones. Before the THR I was walking 18 holes 5 days a week and in really great condition. I started walking without a cane 12 days post surgery. I didn’t tell my surgeon but I started walking 18 holes (6-7 miles/not playing) with my golf buddies at 3 weeks. I was probably doing way too much but I think it helped me overall. I was back on a trainer with minimal resistance after 6 weeks. I added resistance on the trainer at 8 weeks. The biggest issue was getting on and off the bike, needed a step stool. I did 25 miles on my first official road ride post surgery at 13 weeks. The surgeon allowed me to start playing golf after about 18 weeks. I rode 6000 miles and did 5 weeklong bike tours the next year.

I’ve not gotten back to the power and speeds before the THR as I lost a little leg strength and cardio and just didn’t have the desire in my mid 60’s to push it hard enough to recover it. But riding distances at a little slower speeds wasn’t an issue.
I have a low step through bike set up on the trainer for when I am ready to get on it.
Surgery was two weeks ago today and I am almost completely off the pain meds and only using my cane part of the time.
My second physio session is today so we will see how that goes.