View Single Post
Old 02-28-23, 09:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I have two pics of modded truing stands.

The first is what I suspect most here will drool over, to some degree. A TS-2 with home made dial indicator mounts.

I do like the TE-2's solidness but just like back 40+ years ago when i first tried dial indicators I still find them too distracting, jumping about enough to make the macro hard to see it's center. Just the same visitors seem impressed

Next up is my VAR #485 Preciray. A legend of the 1970s, to speak of.

I got this stand as vacation pay way long ago. What i like is the rock solid wheel/axle clamping ability and the rim followers multiplying the amount of deviation. Note the different radial roller follower which is the mod. The white lateral roller follower is OEM. At some time the radial one became "broken", I just used its stub held in place by that home made C clamp (off to the upper LH in the shot, this was one of my first school shop projects back in 1972 or so) until I came across available roller followers. Note the extra holes for the radial lever pivot, spring and limit mounts. This shift to the right increased the "wiggle" of the pointer from the OEM amount.

One of the big aspects of a truing stand for me is its solid/stability and repeatability. The Park TS-4 series is way bad in this. The axle retention is poor and the really long rim indicator "fingers" are equally flexible. I know this is the cost of tubeless and wide rims/wheels/tires. too bad because a solid stand is a pleasure to work with. Andy