View Single Post
Old 03-01-23, 10:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
How do you find accuracy of the preciray/park tool compared to each other? I understand the pointers are x10 magnification, what does that equate to on your dials? Do you use the preciray to get a “working wheel” and then dial in closer, or is the accuracy the same?

I am going to France this summer……I will be scouring French websites before I go….just missed one on ebay in the UK, dammit!
I don't consider a truing stand to have anything to do with accuracy or precision (as I think is the better term for your question). These are the duty of the person turning the spoke wrench. A stand only holds the wheel in a manor that can make the wrench's job easier. Like any stand the VAR is a stupid assembly of metal parts that wasn't made for exacting measurements. It does have a few adjustments for getting the dishing aspect quite close to being "spot on", still I would not rely only this, or any other stand, for dishing if at all possible (that's why dishing tools are made). I often will hold the indicator/pointer still and observe the rim/roller gap and not rely on the swing action of that indicator/pointer at all. How much deviation from the scribed line (red for lateral and a scratched one that didn't show well in the pic for radial) compares to what a dial indicator might show is not something i care about. What is nice for a beginner is the indicator/pointer will swing to the same side that spokes would need tightening to bring the rim and pointer in line (for the lateral work). This is easier to remember for a newbie that the "looking in a mirror" aspect of which way to turn what spoke. Once the wrench gets comfy with truing this aspect is a needless one.

Having said that, I would not suggest a Preciray for anyone getting into wheel work these days. It won't handle modern axle designs and specs well and can't be used with a tire mounted. If all one was to work on are "classic" nutted and QR hubs of common widths than it is great. But to limit oneself so much WRT future spec drifts in not a good choice IMO. I do suggest a TS-2 (and only a TS-4 if really wide tubeless tires are in play). Save your $ and get both a TS-2 and dishing tool. Andy