View Single Post
Old 03-03-23, 03:16 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Hey, that's a nice mod awac ! Bravo.

I agree, we all have our reasons for what we do. No explaining necessary or even possible.

I bought a Unior 1689 recently to start building again after letting someone else do it the last 25 years. I really like it, it's relaxing, calming, it's like art .... painting a portrait as the wheel itself. The 1689 stands stable on it's own, that's why I chose it. It's "good enough" for what I do.
I like Unior tools, their stand was always on my radar. Good to hear a recommendation for it.

Perhaps any others on here can give their opinion on stands they have bought, or made from plans, either their own or bought.

My Park Tool came along at the right price from someone who had an idea to wheel build during covid, then when they could get out again decided that staring at a revolving wheel was not a fun thing to do (I don’t understand them…). I am very happy with it, it also came with the centring gauge, which in my opinion should be included in the price of a new one. An accurate stand gets more new sales for the company. Mind you, what do I know, they are making more money than me! Lol.

I always check my work with a dishing tool, but I am always very, very close using the callipers. It feels like it will last my lifetime. Just as important is that I like the tool! A tool that I like becomes a pleasure to work with, and work becomes leisure.