Old 09-09-22, 08:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Jan is rather lukewarm on tubeless, and doesn't recommend it for anything narrower than 35mm. After years of using Barlows EL with tubes, I decided to try tubeless about 6 months ago, with a fresh set of tires. Setting up was surprisingly easy, and I used their Panaracer recommended sealant. As far as I know, I haven't had any punctures yet. I had very few running tubes. The ride quality improved slightly, as did my speed climbing steep hills. But these were very marginal gains. My one irritation with tubeless in general is it seems to be high routine maintenance. I guess you are supposed to top off the sealant every month or so, but I typically wait until one of the tires starts to lose air more rapidly than the other, and then I top both off. I switched to Orange Seal endurance because we ran out of Panaracer and had it in the garage. It seems to require less frequent top-offs, and moves through the syringe easier.

I also set up my Endurance Plus Antelope Hills tubeless, and these seem to hold their pressure better than the Barlow EL. My wife has Hurricane Ridge Endurance Plus on her ebike, and those also seem to hold air better. The one major irritation (which I don't think has anything to do with the tires, but rather the cheap Canondale rims), is that the rear tire comes unseated if the air pressure gets too low. Thankfully it hold air pretty well, but it has happened twice in the garage and I had to re-seat it with a canister. I blame the rim for that one.

For her, changing a flat in the middle of nowhere, out of cell service, on a commute with a heavy e-bike is something we are trying to avoid. For the others, there really isn't a compelling need for tubeless.

I'm not really a tubeless advocate. The only major advantage for me is it allows me to run Peaty's valve stems in a color that matches my hubs.

Oh, I've also got Juniper Ridge and Pumpkin Ridge (back and front) 650b EL tires set up with Panaracer sealant on my gravel wheel-set for about a year now with no issues at all.

Finally, we had Fleecer Ridge Endurance Plus set up for awhile with Orange Seal on my kid's XC bike. He didn't like them, so took them off. No real issues outside or inside. The old Orange Seal sealant was more of a thin web and a thick puddle that dried up and was easily pealed out.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 09-09-22 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For Polaris OBark: