Old 12-03-22, 03:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Some poster on this forum thinks that "being experienced" is the best way to avoid crashes and collisions with drivers. Rebellin's death is an example of where this didn't really work out too well. I admit that I cannot say he wasn't using lights. Nothing I've read indicates he was or wasn't.

I'm not the person who made the statement you're referring to, but I agree with it. Being experienced - and I'd add, situational awareness and defensive riding - are the best ways to avoid crashes. But that does not imply it's 100% effective. Maybe it's true as you say below, that some people think it's the only thing you need, but I doubt if anyone has really said that. Using lights and/or high-vis clothing may or may not be statistically more effective than just riding defensively and with situational awareness. With a lack of actual evidence, i stick to my opinion that lights and high vis clothing are not as important. Not saying they don't help, just that they don't help as much.

A friend of mine, with 40 years of racing and urban commuting under his belt, was recently hit head on by a left-turning driver. Almost killed him. Not using lights.

I STRONGLY recommend using lights front and rear 24/7/365 while riding on road. Many have argued with my recommendation, saying that experience is all you need to avoid this! Not really. Not really at all.

Lights are a quick, simple, inexpensive and effective way to be seen. I say use them. I use them every time I mingle with cars. It's no guarantee. But it's just one more tool we have to reduce the incidence of being hit by a driver. I use reflective clothing, rear-view mirrors, good route-planning, experience, defensive riding AND lights now. Doing otherwise seems silly.

My 49 years of cycling tell me lights are a GREAT way to increase my chances on the road of surviving. I have experience road and mountain bike racing, commuting in the suburbs and the streets of San Francisco, among many other urban areas. I've worked in the bike industry, with law enforcement, and city transportation planning on bicycle issues. I've taught bike maintenance and urban riding, as well as led and participated in overnight bicycle trips. I've done a little loaded touring. I grew up tearing to school and back on my bike. I held a commercial driver's license; I hold a current motorcycle endorsement. Taught myself to ride unicycle (finally) at 50. I've crashed more times than I can count. However, I've only been truly hit by a driver ONCE. And it happened two years ago; my 47 years of experience riding didn't help me. From that day forward I use front and rear lights all the time. I'll let you decide if my voice has any weight in the discussion.