SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Not ridden yet. It has been deep-freeze cold out here, so even when the roads are clear, I don’t think it would be a very meaningful insight into the tires. As soon as it gets to a comparatively balmy 32°F, I’ll get out on ‘em!
My sister also lives in Michigan so I know what you mean! Meanwhile, over here we had our first heat wave of 2022 this past weekend, which almost got me during a climb.

Whoa! Outta nowhere it hit 40ºF today, so braving the winter road debris, I took the AC Timekeepers out for their maiden voyage. I like ‘em!

The roads are pretty wet with snow melt, and it’s simply February in Michigan, so I didn’t hammer on the tires, but I can say that they felt supple and fast.

Besides being wet, the roads around here are in generally poor condition, with lots of cracks and potholes. The Timekeepers took the sharp edges off the cracks, and just smoothed out the rough stuff. Nice!

Not that I really tested it, but cold, wet grip seemed just fine. Also nice!

My first thought was that the tires were stupidfast, but then I realized I was riding with a tailwind! But, I’ll tell you that when I turned back across the wind, it seemed my speed dropped relatively little for my power input, so that’s where I get the impression of the tires being fast. Again, nice!
Glad to hear, hope to hear further riding impressions when the weather dries off.

So initial impressions are really positive, and I’m thinking about landing another pair for my Tern “townsport.” I have the stock Pasela clones (CST brand?) on it now, but just got a new wheelset with Sun CR18 rims, so maybe I’ll give the more robust AC Torchbearers a go on those. They’re only blackwall, though, and the Tern looks sharp in tan wall…

Tern Rally
Nice! My wife's Electra Loft has the same cream frame color, which does require light tan wall tires.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: