View Single Post
Old 03-01-22, 11:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I just looked at one-way pricing (Avis) from Philly to Middletown, NY for a long-weekend trip in early May, totally expecting sticker shock. The rate for an SUV was surprisingly low. Maybe the market is shifting, though looking this far out could have helped with the rate. Assuming I can cancel without much of a penalty, if any, I may lock it in later this week just in case.
There seems to be a vast difference depending on location. For example, Avis offers a one-way from Dulles to Pittsburgh (240 miles) that costs $150 per day for an SUV. Denver to Pittsburgh costs $210 for the same single day but good luck on getting to Pittsburgh from Denver in a day. The distance is 1460 miles and takes about 22 hours with no breaks. Two days would be a tough drive…and cost $420.

Oddly, a one-way rental from Denver to Rapid City (about 400 miles) is more expensive than a one-way to Pittsburgh…$270 for an SUV. DIA does have a lot of traffic and does rent a lot of rental cars.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!