Old 07-16-22, 04:12 PM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I've not heard anything good about FH-RM30.
I am not familiar with these but apparently these freehub bodies were originally for Alivio FH-RM30-7-QR rear hubs.

Exactly what are you trying to do?
Now using 8/9-speed hub, would like to reduce spoke flange offset as much as possible, flange offset on 7-speed FH-RM30-7-QR hub is only 5.5mm, so was wondering if something similar could be done to improve my hub by simply swapping parts around; https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...RM30-7-QR.html However, I have been informed that FH-RM30 freehub body is not compatible with my hub and on further investigation discovered that hub may have been available only in Europe and perhaps elsewhere but not in North America where I am. Shimano chooses where and where not in the world to sell its products and restricts its dealers from exporting them to other continents and nations. What is available in Europe is often not available in North America and that happens with Dia-Compe too.

Do you want to run a 7 speed freehub?
I am in the commuter and medium-weight tourist category and get along fine with widely spaced gearing, just shift into the necessary gear and leave it there. On 700c wheels I run 12-34T Megarange 7-speed freehub cassette, 46-34-24T crankset, for ~19 gear inch low gear, ~105 gear inch high hear, with wide but even mix of ratios in between.

Since I already use 7-speed on 8/9/10-speed freehub body I could eliminate at least 4.5mm of 7-speed cassette spacer's width from spoke flange offset.