Goathead Magnet

Bikes: Surly LHT, Cannondale Caffeine F3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Got it.
In my second post above, I mention that I was mistaken about the custody thing - it turns out that the kid's dad is more or less MIA, and the mom has custody. The kid was with the grandmother at the time of the incident. At any rate, it's not all that relevant to the incident, other than just more victims of the mom's poor decisions.

I was finally able to track down a bit more information about the victims. The cyclist who was hospitalized died of his injuries about two weeks later, so the charge becomes vehicular homicide. I've seen conflicting information on what the difference in possible sentences is - some places say 0-6 years, and some say up to 15 years (with enhancements for prior DWIs, which won't apply in this case). Without getting into too much detail, it sounds like a six-year sentence is likely, though as I understand it (I'm an engineer, not a lawyer, so take anything I saw about the justice system with a BIG grain of salt) in state prison that can be cut essentially in half for good behavior. Seems pretty light for killing an innocent bystander in a hit-and-run DWI, if you ask me.