Old 10-25-22, 12:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It has depended a lot on life situation and where I could ride.

When I was a tween we lived in the exurbs. My parents didn't worry about me much, I think. There was not much trouble to get in. I could go riding in the desert but school seemed too far.

In college riding a bike around was perfectly reasonable. But buying a new bike seemed out of reach when the fork broke. I came back one year with my dad's truck and that was it.

At my first career job, in the desert again. The first three things I got with my paycheck were an apartment, a mattress, and a mountain bike. Once again riding to work was just not reasonable but mountain biking out the front door was great.

At my second career job I moved to a city with lots of bike infrastructure, but in an apartment, and I had a dog. Spent way more time walking dog than riding bikes. Didn't miss it, filled the same niche.

After meeting my future wife and moving into a house, dog could pee in the yard and commuting became reasonable. That's where I've been since. Mountain biking on weekends and camping trips.

There was a really brief period where I was trying to beat my times on my bike around the lake but all that got interrupted by heart problems and now I just go the pace I can manage today. I use Strava mainly for logging and not for striving
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-25-22 at 12:52 PM.