View Single Post
Old 12-04-22, 09:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My front wheel on my disc brake road bike would move around slightly during heavy braking. The skewers were both external cam and titanium (Salsa). I don't know for sure which was at fault, but replacing with internal cam steel skewers solved the problem. I had initially attributed this to the properties of the external cam, but someone pointed out to me it could be a bit of stretch in the titanium, and that steel was superior in this regard.
There is at least one bf poster who thinks that disc brake bikes with qr dropouts is a horrific fraud perpetrated on ignorant bike buyers...That the design is tremendously flawed and will never work. No amount of evidence or experience will disabuse him of this opinion, even umpteen posts from people who've had different experiences. As for me, my qr disc bike came with external cam steel skewers which worked just fine, though I did pretty promptly swap in some XT skewers -- just because I'm pretty persnickety about keeping the wheels attached to my bike. 13k miles later, no problems. No brake rubbing. Sure, thru-axles are better for disc bikes, but not essential.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-04-22 at 09:22 PM.
Likes For Koyote: