OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Louisiana Senior Olympic Games

Well, that's in the books.

The race consisted of two TTs - the first was a 20k, and the first 10k of that race is what they used for the 10k times. The second was a 5k. Both races were set up as out-and-backs, so the first one went out 5k and resulted in two round trips to make 20k.

The first TT went as planned. I decided I was going to do it as a 20k and let the 10k time fall where it fell. I started at 15 watts under my FTP and ended up 15 watts (a bit more towards the end) over my FTP, AP and NP were two watts apart. Ended up getting silver in the 20k and bronze in the 10k, though truth be known we started with three guys in my age group, and one quit at the end of the 10k. I was the only guy who Merckxed it, though.

The 5k didn't go as planned. Due to the wide disparity in ability levels, there was a huge break between TTs waiting for the slowest folks to finish the first. There was about 45 minutes between my finish and the 5k start, and despite trying to stay warmed up, my legs just told me, "G'way, we're sleeping." They complained loudly the entire 5ks. Didn't come near hitting my target wattage until the last couple of minutes, and felt worse at the end of the 5k than I did at the end of the 20k. Silver.

There was a wide disparity among competitors, as I mentioned. Some were very fit - I didn't recognize them, so I think they were tri guys. Others were just there to take part. The one 80-84 guy was on a Trek hybrid, complete with rear rack, but he was there, ditto with the 75-79 lady with the step-through bike. The tri guys had TT/tri bikes with rear disks and three spoke front wheels, plus aero helmets. Notable among the standard road bikes was a Merlin Extralight being ridden by a guy in his 70s.

Overall it was a good experience. My perception is that at least in my area, the SOG is either ignored or shunned by the usual racing crowd, though not totally, since I found the announcement on the NOLA racing club's calendar. I think that's unfortunate. It could also be due to the TT-only format, which would appeal more to triathletes and non-racers. I just wish it would've included either a crit or a road race.

Demain, on roule!