Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Next time I'm bit..........

Well, it finally happened.

Going down a road I'm on 4-5 times a month. Passing a house that seems to have people in it sometimes, and then vacant for a few months and then someone new. Its at the bottom of a big hill so I usually blast by it just in case there's a dog or 2. I've outrun them there before. This time, I came the other way on a gradual climb and was about to hit the big hill when they appeared. First came 2 Burmese Mountain Dogs, which got my attention. They're pretty goofy though so I wasn't thinking that I was about to get bit, even though they were barking and chasing. Then came the 3rd dog which had that distinctive Pit Bull head and , as they say "that's when I knew I was in trouble" Long story short, I got off my bike and tried to fend them off but the 3rd dog grabbed my hand and gave me some pretty good puncture wounds. I consider myself lucky as you always hear about some dogs latching on and not letting go. This dog seemed to sense he had done something bad and backed off a bit, but he wasn't leaving and threatened some more. I think it was the pack mentality thing that made him temporarily bad.

So, the hapless owner comes running out from her garden and I tell her, you're dog just bit me (blood streaming down my hand as proof). She chases the culprit down and puts him inside. The other 2 continue to roam and bark but are getting friendlier. She comes back out and helps me to bandage my wounds enough to ride back home. Of course, I ask if the dogs are up to date on vaccines etc.
I ride home, wife takes me to the ER and I get a tetanus shot, a few stitches, some antibiotics and told that the incident will be forwarded to the Dept. of Public Health who follows up on all of this stuff to ensure all the dogs are vaccinated. Here is where it gets interesting. The lady disappears. Local Dog Warden goes by and she's not home, State Police go by the next day Ditto. Her cell phone that had been receiving messages is suddenly disconnected. I'd driven by her place on the way to the ER and took down the address and lisence plate number of her vehicle. Police run the number and seems the plate doesn't match or something. 3 days of calling and nothing. My wife played the sleuth on the internet and found some potential contacts (don't count on the police to do this). After 4 days of not finding a dog, you've got to make the choice to have rabies shots or not, so I'm a little concerned.

I called a few of the numbers that my wife found (no answers,just machines) and pretty much said that I'm ok with what happened, I'll heal and get by. But if you don't call back by tomorrow than I've no choice but to Lawyer up and sue the...... out of you because you will be found and this will cost you a lot; Lady calls the Public Health Dept. and comes clean and all is well.

So, my lesson learned is to stay right there and call 911 and have it handled on the spot. Thought I'd pass this on.