Old 05-23-17, 10:17 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Its interesting to me how much being a veterinarian influences the way my brain works. But I seem to go into everything I do with a clinician's approach: I develop a theory as to what is going on, while keeping an open mind to a variety of explanations/"diagnoses". Then I see over time how well my model fits with reality.

Anyway, with TTs I have this theory that, while there is real physiology behind what is happening during training/racing, a lot of what happens is governed by the mind. Your brain is constantly looking for clues and trying to define what is going on so that it can decide what you should do next. I could change this theory next year if I come to realize that's not actually what's happening. But right now...

For me, I have a tendency to "slump" half or 2/3s of the way through a TT. I believe this is a brain thing and I do much better if I explicitly focus on expecting this to happen and making a point of overriding it. The fitness and physiology is there but my brain thinks that's the time to rest.

So I think its really helpful to replicate in training any conditions that are tough for you in a race. Train your brain to have a different expectation. Long winded way of saying: if you have trouble settling back into things after the turn, then I'd put a lot of simulations of this into your training. TT interval with a turn, allow yourself X number of pedals strokes to get back up to power, say 7 or 10 pedal strokes. Then settle onto your number and sit there for another Y number of minutes. This doesn't have to be the main point of your workout. Just when you're doing a 20 min TT interval anyway, do 10 min out and 10 min back with a turn in the middle. Then just keep doing it that way for a few months, until your brain learns that the turn is a cue for 10 pedal strokes and then back on the previous number.

Whenever you can, work little things like this into what you're doing anyway and see if your brain starts to believe a new reality. Might make a difference or might be Heathpack BS.