Old 03-29-23, 09:36 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by parksie555
Anyone here get to the point where they just feel like their balance/reflexes are shot? I know both accidents had pretty definite causes ...
With your description of those two recent scenarios, I wouldn't chalk it up to your "reflexes" or anything medical (say, wonky blood pressure or balance issues).

Sounds like simple situations of judgment errors. In the one case, wet pavement that wasn't sufficiently guarded against, through appropriate speed, modulated braking through a corner; such as when heading over railroad tracks or painted lines, for example. In the other case, you and your buddy were riding in such proximity that a rapid maneuver became impossible to avoid.

In my own past, though decades ago, I had a similar "judgment" situation. Was riding at a time of day nearly empty of other people (pedestrians or cyclists), on a narrow MUP. I was going about 25mph, an injudicious speed at any time, but there it is. Of course, a pedestrian comes up on a side entry walkway to the MUP, without looking ... and, boom. I hit the brakes and the front wheel came out from under me. Slid a dozen feet and got bad road rash. Wasn't an issue of reactions or balance or equipment; was simply an inappropriate speed and not taking into account the likelihood of another's presence on a multi-use path. My bad, entirely. Result? Never have gone so briskly since, certainly not in ANY situation that involves overtaking or proximity to side-road entry by others, never near dogs on leashes, never when I don't have clear line-of-sight visibility. Slows down the route, sure, but it's far safer for all. IMO, as a direct result, I've been able to avoid any crashes since.