Old 06-17-21, 03:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm not a morning person and if I'm up for an early morning ride or run, it's because I didn't sleep that night. Not sure why the morning routine didn't take, because I managed for years in the military and working for the government. But after retiring my body clock got out of whack. I live alone, other than my cats, who don't care when I sleep.

Apparently my body clock decided we're a night person. I've gone out at midnight for running and riding and most of my fastest times, from 5k runs to long bike rides, were at night. The only challenge is good lights to watch for critters.

Usually I ride or run in the afternoon, but that's been a challenge the past couple of weeks as Texas (and other parts of the US) have been hit with unusually hot weather. I'm starting a bit later and taking it much easier to avoid heat exhaustion while still getting adapted to the heat. Usually by now I'm adapted to our *normal* June weather, but this hasn't been a normal June.

I did enjoy some early morning fast group rides when I did those, but after injuries and illness in 2018 I couldn't keep up with those folks anymore. So I haven't done any early morning group rides since late 2019. There's another group of folks closer to my age who ride a pace I can manage and start early evening when we still have time to get 25-30 miles in before dark.