Old 07-28-21, 01:10 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
On my last commute home, I broke a spoke in the rear wheel during a standing climb. Guess I'm just too powerful. Made it home okay, but I can't ride that bike until it gets fixed. The same bike has a messed up front derailleur, so I'm kinda stuck in the small ring. So I went to book the bike in for repairs at my usual bike shop, and couldn't get an appointment until August 9! Crazy. That's my best/favourite bike, a 2009 Kona Jake the Snake CX.

My fixed gear bike is out of commission until I can replace the chain ring and cog, and I'm told that parts will be unavailable until Spring 2022.

I have an 80's era Bianchi road bike that's been languishing on a hook in my garage for some time, so I got it down, inflated the tires, gave it a test ride - everything was working fine. Next morning, the front tire was flat. Easy fix, but haven't gotten to it yet. One reason I'm dragging my feet is because that bike (and the fixie) are pretty much road-only bikes, and I've been riding a dirt singletrack shortcut on the way home, which I love. The road route home is longer and along some unavoidable high-traffic routes.

That leaves my least favourite bike: my big, heavy Surly Disc Trucker. The back brake needed adjustment, and I managed to mess up the brake cable while tinkering with it. It's a real love/hate relationship I have with these mechanical disc brakes. I managed to get a cable from a bike shop - at least that was still in stock. The brake still isn't set up properly, but I'll be darned if I can't figure out what the problem is. The bike is rideable, and that's what I rode today.

It's been almost 2 weeks since my last bike commute (so much for me being on this thread a lot during July), or any exercise at all, really, and in the meantime, I came down with a cold (not COVID - I have a negative test result) and had to stay home. That and other lame excuses kept me from riding this past while. Not a great ride in. I sometimes have a problem where if my heart rates goes into the anaerobic zone (like when powering up a hill), I start feeling faint and have a hard time recovering. It's not usually a problem as long as I keep up my exercise, but it happened this morning, and I had to ride very slowly for a while to slow down my heart rate and breathing. Probably something I should talk to my doctor about.

I lived to tell the tale. I'll try to ride the rest of this week. Have a great day everyone.
Likes For groovestew: