View Single Post
Old 07-29-22, 07:26 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I posted some indoor pics of this bike, when I first got it, 21 months ago, but they were not very good pics, so I thought I'd add some better, outdoor ones. I got this bike for $75.00 on Craig's List, It was in great condition under all the dirt and debris. As you can see, there was a lot of spit and polish waiting to be un-earthed. The cog on the Sturmey rear hub had fallen off (lock ring had somehow gotten loose), so I learnt how to put it back on and did so.
The original, Brooks B72 saddle was just fine...until I tried to attach a saddle bag to it and a chunk about the size of a quarter fell off, complete with the bag loop. It now has a new Brooks Flyer S from Chain Reaction ($119.00 free shipping). I replaced the steel Wald kick-stand with a nice, aluminum Greenfield and put a period Adie ratchet bell (that I had) on it.
I had to fiddle with the shift cable adjuster as it enters the hub, and found I had to move the top-tube cable housing clamp forward a bit, but it shifts well now, even though it seems a tad tight when I shift into lowest gear. I unscrewed the front lamp cowl, to try to clean the lens (would not clean), but when I unscrewed the small screw, the cowl fell to the floor and destroyed the vintage bulb. Let me tell you, I was not pleased about that. I have since replaced both the bulb and the lens (N.O.S.), and the Dyno-hub works just fine. I leave it engaged all the time while riding.
I re-greased the Dyno-hub and the bearings on the Sturmey, and re-packed the bottom bracket, head-set and pedals. It appears that everything was original (except maybe the Regency tires), but I would like to replace the brake cables/housings at some point. I'd need the right length. The rear reflector had seen its better day, as it looked decayed on the side, so I replaced with N.O.S.
I will admit that for the head-set to be tight enough for there to be no play and loose enough to work freely, the headset binds a bit when the forks are turned to an extreme (50-60 degree) angle. I haven't found a way around that. I am pretty sure I used new bearings when I did the headset, but I'm only 80% sure.
I like the "hub-polisher" on the rear hub and the "flash treatment" of white on the front of the bike. Rudge was ahead of everybody, I think, with sloping fork crown in 1962. I bought the Carradice Pendle bag thinking it would be basically ornamental. Not a chance. I use it all the time for shopping and bringing food and water to the birds out in the back yard on my way out. I am actually using this bike for a (slow) club ride tomorrow, because one of my friends blew his knee out a couple weeks ago.
I've wanted a British 3-speed for a long time. I was 62 when I finally got one. The bike is wonderful. I get compliments on it, in public. It did fall over, once, from the spring wind, and some of the "R" is now missing on the n.d.s. I need to match a blanched, burnished gold to it.
If anyone needs a double-rail seat-post clamp, I'll send it to you.

Excellent aesthetic presentation. You're presenting a mood as much as showcasing your Rudge.