View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 09:24 PM
Eplumer40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Popping Tubes Constantly

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve been a cyclist for a few years but only recently got into road biking. I currently ride a Diamondback Insight ST hybrid that I’ve built up over the past year. My issue is almost every ride I go on I’m popping at least one inner tube, often times twice in one ride. Due to this frustrating and increasingly expensive endeavor I took a break from outside and tried the stationary bike trainer/Zwift setup. Worked well for a few rides, and today I get another flat. I don’t want to give up road cycling because I love riding on the open road but this is super frustrating. What do I need to fix that will prevent getting so many flats?

Wheels are Alex AT450, inner width 13mm. They aren’t in the best condition but all the flats have been on the road side of the tires.
Tires are new Continental Ultra Sport III 700x25
Tubes are some random Chinese brand right now, but I’ve also had Sunlites and Continentals blow on me.
I’m quite a bit of a Clydesdale at 5’10” 245lbs, but I’m working on that.
Does tightening down the presta screw have a significant impact on the tires?
I also don’t have a pressure gauge for presta valves so I have no idea what my tire pressure is.

I’m at a loss at this point. My best thought is I need to switch to a wider wheel/tire combo until I drop 50-60 pounds, but was hoping there’s a cheaper option. Thanks in advance.