View Single Post
Old 12-18-21, 04:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
You can fix it once you find the cause. It doesn't sound like most of your flats were pinch flats. I'd guess that something is stuck in your tire tread, especially if the hole is the same distance from the bead each time. Perhaps it's more than one thing, partly due to bad luck: bad tube one time, glass or wire the next, perhaps with pinch flats other times?

Flats are either pinch flats, sharp stuff going through the tire, defective tubes that come apart, or the bead popping off the rim due to bad tire installation or a broken tire bead. But beads popping off cause a loud, explosive BANG, since the tube pushes out past the bead, blows up like a balloon, and pops. It'll have a split that's usually inches long, unlike the other, slower flats.

Pinch flats ("snakebites")
These are caused from the tire getting compressed so far that the tube is squashed between the edge of the rim and the tire tread. The pressure makes a tiny slit in the tube, usually in a pair, one per rim edge. It's on the inside part of the tube. Sometimes only one side bottomed out, so there's just one slit. It usually happens either instantly or within a minute or two of hitting something on the road. I've hit: potholes, edges of cast iron water valve covers, or, most often, large chunks of sharp edged gravel--at speed. Very slow speeds will often just roll over these things, no damage.

You need enough tire pressure for your weight. But even then, hitting sharp edged objects at speed can pinch flat a fully inflated tire if you are unlucky.

Nails, metal, big glass pieces: its easy to locate the cut in the tire.

Wires or slivers of glass.
These are very difficult to find, and may be recessed in the tread of the tire. They cause slow leaks, from tens of seconds up to hours if they are really tiny.
As the previous comment explained, that's why mounting a tire with the label at the valve stem makes it practical to: locate the leak on the tube; then hold it up to the tire to locate the area of the tread to examine carefully. You might need to look in two directions from the valve, since it's tricky to keep the tube's orientation in mind. (I use a silver sharpy to draw a direction arrow on the tube before installing, for this reason.)

Finding the hole:
Pump some air into the tube. I like to hold the tube up near my cheek and check the whole thing, to feel the air flow and maybe hear it escaping.
A bigger hole might need someone to keep pumping while I look for the leak, otherwise it's empty in a second or two.

But the leak can be way too slow to feel or hear! These have to wait until I get home, hoping the replacement tube won't go flat too. Then I fill the tube until it's doubled or tripled in width, then hold sections under water in the bathtub or basin. There will be tiny trapped air bubbles on the tube surface. I wipe these off underwater with my fingers and watch for one of them to reappear, wipe it again, and see it come back. There it is! I've had this take 10 seconds or more to reappear if the hole is extremely small, but it usually reappears as fast as I wipe it off. If I'm lucky, there's a stream of tiny bubbles heading to the surface of the water, easy to see.
Likes For rm -rf: