Thread: REI rant
View Single Post
Old 05-24-20, 08:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
See my above response to a virtually identical post.

Do you folks worked for REI or have some interest in them? Great.

It's not a proper co-op. It's daily practices don't match their mission statement. The "dividends" are just refunds, instead of lower everyday prices. Call it what you like but it's just a clever misdirection.

I'll buy from them anyway, next time I need something right now and the LBS doesn't have it.

Not buying the hype, though.
No i don't work there. I buy random stuff from the bike dept and its usually because i want something right away and REI is still open when LBS is closed. I buy clothes from there at times, but its all rei branded, which is the least expensive.
Definitely dont work there, unfortunately it can't possibly pay what I would want.

Each store is different with regard to what is stocked and how much turnover there is. The local one to me has been open for 4 or 5 years and a mechanic is still there from the start, as well as some other faces I recognize. It isnt always massive turnover, like you suggest.

You mention their practices don't match the mission statement how so?
“we inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.”

Thats their mission statement. Besides the lack of an Oxford comma, whats wrong with the mission statement? How does the company not fulfill thst mission statement?

The local store has many in person events and classes each month- basic bike maintenance, intro to climbing, backpacking essentials, etc etc etc. There are also scheduled talks given by people who have done incredible trips. They partner with local outdoor organizations and advocacy groups for projects and fundraising. They advertise local trails/parks each month. And obviously they sell gear that allows people to experience outdoor adventures.
The 3 other stores I've been to(in 3 different states) are all similar from what I saw.

Sure seems like they are on point with fulfilling that mission statement.