Old 08-25-21, 05:56 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Lol. Your calculated VO2 = fancy PWR:HR. Of course different HR will change the result of the math! . We're talking about maximal oxygen use, your heart is there too deliver oxygenated blood to the rest of your body.

This will be my last reply to you in this thread, you're clearly looking for a fight, I'm here to share the little bit of knowing I've been able to accumulate.
Fine. You tell someone they are wrong and do not address the points of their posts. Milk toast.

You have not provide any knowledge or analysis or rebuttal of what I have presented other than pathetic and patronizing advice on figuring it out. I have figured it out. Garmin's VO2 max algo is garbage.

Two facts supporting what I said

1. Increasing 5 minute power by 46 watts during the same time that Garmin indicates a loss of VO2 max from 73 to 61 irrefutably shows they have it wrong. In case you do not know, 5 minute power is the best proxy for VO2 max.

2. Show me a single 63 year old man with a VO2 max of 73. This is not credible on its face.

Aside from increasing my fitness substantially over the past 10-12 weeks, my only other change was converting from a very aerodynamic and fast recumbent to an ordinary racing upright bike.

The simplest and most plausible explanation is they use speed. Alas, their white papers and patent speak to that point. With that said, I am done. You can believe what you want, I presented real data from the same power meter corroborated with 5 minute hill climb data on the same hill I have used for many, many years.