Old 11-08-21, 11:27 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Carbonfiberboy says "fasting doesn't work", and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to argue for or against the different theories of how fasting changes one's metabolism or affects fat burning, etc. But there are may be multiple reasons why intermittent fasting may affect diet and weight.

For me, I am and always have been a snack-eating person. As my comparatively low body weight demonstrates, it's not out of control and many of the snacks are healthier things - fruits, nuts, good quality protein bars, etc. yes, I like tortilla chips too much, - nobody's perfect. As stated earlier, I exercise a lot and I eat only 2 smallish meals/day - without the snacks, I'd be undernourished

If I restrict the hours of the day when i allow myself to eat, then I'm going to consume fewer calories. I'm not about to replace that 10 PM snack with an additional snack between 2 pm and 4 pm or make the afternoon snacks (or meals) larger. . And so I will eat less. And particularly if my motivation for not eating at 10 PM is - "I don't want acid reflux" rather than "I probably shouldn't consume more calories today", then I'm likely to stick with it. The calorie reduction is a bonus, but not the original motivation.

As to the mornings, I really don't miss breakfast if my morning exertion is limited to that little commute and then sitting at my computer. Provided I have my coffee, that is. I'm still going to eat breakfast before any real morning bicycle ride.

Among my riding companions, I'm known as a good climber. I can't sprint worth a damn, but when we hit the hills, I'm often the one putting on the hurt. Were I to lose 5-10 additional lbs., so much the better.
Likes For MinnMan: