Old 01-01-22, 08:07 AM
Girona_Kiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Di2 dead and won't charge after long period of storage

Due to work commitments taking me away and Covid problems preventing me getting back, my Di2 bike was left leaning in my apartment unused for over a year. Previously the Di2 worked flawlessly, battery life was strong, no problems. Today I finally had the chance to blow off the dust and get it ready to ride. Di2 showed zero signs of life. No response when shifters pushed, no lights at all when A junction button pressed. Dead. So I plugged in the SM-BCR2 charger into a USB wall socket, and got no lights on the charger at all. I have tried various USB wall sockets up to a 2.1A unit, and nothing.
The bike has been moved around by my wife a few times, maybe it was knocked over, but it looks ok. Maybe it was leaned against something that pushed and held a shifter button, I'm not sure. The coldest it got inside while away was 16 degrees. I have checked and reseated the A junction cables, seem ok. After some searching it seems others have had a similar problem when shipping bikes when a button was pushed completely draining the battery to zero, with one poster resolving it with a higher AMP USB charger (3.5A he says, but I can't see any that exist).
Shimano says 1A minimum so 2.1A should be fine. It's been plugged in a few hours and still no lights on the BCR2 box or the A junction, but the BCR2 box is warm to the touch. I'm just not sure what else to try before I look into replacing the battery, ouch. I'm not convinced that necessarily will solve it. Any clues appreciated.

Last edited by Girona_Kiwi; 01-01-22 at 08:47 AM.