View Single Post
Old 05-03-22, 08:23 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1412:

The last two mornings have had wind speeds more in line with normal for South Dakota (10-20 mph.) Are we finally done with the constant 20+ mph winds that we had for more than six weeks? I sure hope so. In any event, I have been thoroughly enjoying the easier riding this week.

Air temp was a balmy 38° as I rode to work. I came up behind a guy on the MUP riding in street clothes with a backpack, no ear protection and no gloves. My immediate thought when I see commuters dressed like this is, "DUI." He did have a helmet, however, which most people riding due to a court order do not have. I accidentally startled him as I announced I was passing. He smiled and said, "I didn't think anyone else would be out here on such a cold morning!" Dude, you have no idea if you think this was a cold morning. lol

Speaking of cold mornings, (and I was,) in my 13 years of riding bicycle all year long I have crashed at least once every winter. That is, until this year. Now that it's May I think I can safely say I finally made it an entire winter season without hitting the ground. I think one of the reasons to which I can attribute this is because we had so little moisture this year compared to most. While I would prefer not to be in a terrible drought, I will at least celebrate the fact that I stayed upright all winter.

While riding across town at noon to head to a different client location I think I am going to swing by our local motorcycle consignment dealer. My old motorcycle is 23 years old and is really starting to show its age. The dealer has a newer, fancier motorcycle that I've had my eye on, and I'd like to take another look at it. Vehicle prices have gotten insane, so I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money. However, when I'm old and gray I'm not sure if I will matter all that much if I saved a few thousand dollars or not. In any event, I'm going to wager that I will be one of the rare people who shows up at the dealer on a bicycle in order to check out a motorcycle. Even if I do end up buying it they'll have to set it aside for me to come back and pick it up at a different time, because I'll have to finish my commute to the client's office via bicycle. I'm not going to break my bicycle commuting streak, even for a new (to me) motorcycle.