View Single Post
Old 05-05-22, 07:06 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1414:

Lapse in judgement today. It was supposed to rain during the night, and taper off during the morning.

When I got up the roads were damp, but no rain was falling and there weren't huge puddles on the pavement. I had packed for the road bike, so I decided to take it despite the residual moisture. I hoped the little bit of wet on the ground wouldn't be enough to warrant riding a bike with fenders. I also figured I didn't need waterproof panniers and that my backpack would be fine.

A mile into my ride it started to rain. Not a torrential downpour, but very steady. By mile six the rain had stopped, but the roads were very wet and there was lots of spray coming off of tires (both my own and passing cars.) I got to work pretty soggy. My clothes were soaked. My backpack was soaked. Thankfully my work clothes aren't soaked, just have some damp spots.

Sometimes you gamble and win, and sometimes... well, you know.